Initiative to Protect Jekyll Island
On June 30, 2010, the Jekyll Island Authority issued a Request for Information (RFI) that will assist in revising the Jekyll Island Master Plan, which is the island's governing document and the source of official policy.
The Initiative to Protect Jekyll Island (IPJI) - in an effort to facilitate a broad public response to the RFI - is urging Jekyll's friends to take the following steps prior to September 10th.
STEP 1: First and most importantly, read the RFI recommendations made by the Initiative to Protect Jekyll Island, as stated below. If you agree with IPJI's recommendations, then simply click here to endorse them.
STEP 2: If you feel strongly about one or more of IPJI's recommendations, send a RFI response of your own directly to the Jekyll Island Authority - firstname.lastname@example.org - stating why you feel this way. Even if you have already submitted a RFI response, please consider taking this step. If you choose to play off an IPJI response to the RFI, please do not repeat it word for word. Provide IPJI with a copy at email@example.com, please.
If we are to help shape the Master Plan update and secure a bright future for Jekyll Island State Park, we need people to co-sign IPJI's recommendations and send the Jekyll Island Authority RFI responses of their own. Our strength is truly in our numbers - PLEASE ACT NOW!
Thank you, once again, for your support in preserving and protecting Jekyll Island!
Mindy and David Egan
p.s. FOR A SPECIAL TREAT, go to IPJI's homepage - www.savejekyllisland.org - and listen to "Going Home to Jekyll Island," a song by 'bluesgrasssy' singer Jeff Catlett. It will remind you of why we all do what we can to protect Jekyll Island.
FOR DETAILS in support of the following recommendations, visit www.savejekyllisland.org
- RFI Topic: Public participation in planning for Jekyll Island's future
- Recommendation: Draw upon best practices in the field of public land planning to establish an official Jekyll Island Authority policy on public involvement in the process of planning for Jekyll's future; implement this policy prior to the revision of the Master Plan
- RFI Topic: The definitions of the terms "developed" and "undeveloped" land in relation to the legal requirement that no more than 35 percent of Jekyll Island can be developed
- Recommendation: Align the Master Plan's definitions of "developed" and "undeveloped" land with national standards for land use classification
- RFI Topic: The further development and redevelopment of Jekyll Island
- Recommendation 3-A: Establish an ideal carrying capacity for Jekyll Island State Park based upon visitor preferences as well as the impacts of development on park resources and the visitor experience
- Recommendation 3-B: Preserve Jekyll Island's remaining open beachfront in its natural condition
- Recommendation 3-C: Provide for a Jekyll Island State Park that is affordable for citizens of ordinary income
- Recommendation 3-D: Justify, prioritize and establish the cost-effectiveness of all future infrastructure and commercial development or redevelopment projects as part of a reassessment of the JIA's analytical framework for determining the appropriate level of future development on Jekyll Island
- Recommendation 3-E: Revise the Jekyll Island Authority's Design Guidelines so as to limit the height of new buildings on Jekyll Island
- RFI Topic: Long-range conservation and preservation
- Recommendation 4-A: Adopt a Jekyll Island Conservation Plan prior to beginning the process of revising the Jekyll Island Master Plan
- Recommendation 4-B: Add a full-time Conservation Manager to the JIA staff who has background and training in ecosystem management and protection
- Recommendation 4-C: Clearly define the 65 percent of Jekyll Island that is required by law to remain in its natural condition; place the 65 percent natural area of Jekyll Island in a conservation easement to permanently protect it
- Recommendation 4-D: Ensure that the marsh adjacent to Jekyll Island remains in optimum health and is not adversely affected by redevelopment or further development of the state park
- Recommendation 4-E: Adopt additional measures that will help secure and further promote sea turtle nesting success
- Recommendation 4-F: Showcase Jekyll Island's unique plant communities and extraordinary ecosystems; ensure that they are not negatively impacted by human contact or commercial development
- Recommendation 4-G: Expand efforts to educate the public about endangered bird species that nest on the island; take further steps to prevent human traffic from interfering with bird nesting success
- RFI Topic: Preservation of Jekyll Island's archaeological resources
- Recommendation: Include provisions in the Jekyll Island Master Plan for a comprehensive program for the identification, preservation and management of archaeological resources
- RFI Topic: Education opportunities
- Recommendation: Provide for integrated planning for the state park's educational opportunities, including its natural environment, existing and needed facilities, and existing and future programs
- RFI Topic: Creation of nature-based and ecotourism opportunities
- Recommendation 7-A: Provide clear definitions of ecotourism and nature-based tourism and identify events and activities that should either continue to be emphasized or inaugurated in order to promote nature-based tourism and ecotourism opportunities within Jekyll Island State Park
- Recommendation 7-B: Establish a Jekyll Island Center for Biodiversity and Human Interaction as a means of encouraging nature-based and ecotourism, protecting and enhancing Jekyll Island's natural assets, and meeting the state park's long-term financial needs